By Kara Wilbeck
After what’s usually a busy outdoor music season in the PNW, fall brings us the return to the indoor venue: and lots of great live music! Here are our picks for some of the best shows this fall – be sure not to miss these!
- Saturday, Sept. 26: Polecat at the Goodfoot Lounge : Polecat is one of our favorite Northwest bands! With a strong base in the Americana/folk sound, they manage to take their music a lot of places, and rock the house every time! Portland guitar badass Brad Parsons and his band The Local Talent open, so get there early! 21+, $10, 10 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 8: The New Mastersounds at the Wonder Ballroom: The New Mastersounds bring a very clean, very, VERY tight funk sound, which is impressive, considering they’re from England and not NOLA. Drawing comparisons to The Meters (among countless other legends), these guys are the real deal. 21+, $20/$22, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 14: Dean Ween Group at the Wonder Ballrooom: OK, OK, we know. This show is sold out, and has been for a while. But we’re including it because of the pure awesomeness that it’s going to be, and you should try to get tickets on Craigslist. 21+, sold out, 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 22: Dave Rawlings Machine at the Crystal Ballroom: This epic string band features the inimitable duo of Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch. You will without a doubt experience some top notch songwriting and picking at this one! All ages, $32/$35, 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 24: Asher Fulero Band at the Goodfoot Lounge: Local keys master Asher Fulero is everywhere. He plays with pretty much everyone, moonlights as an electronic producer, and still manages to have time for a band of his own. It’s jazzy, it’s funky, it’s rock. Pair this with another local powerhouse, Yak Attack, and you’ve got a serious show here. Probably not the best night to stay home. 21+, 10 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 31: Fruition at Revolution Hall: These local favorites (and Willamette Week readers’ choice for best alt-country band) are going to absolutely tear up Halloween evening at Portland’s newest concert venue! Definitely, definitely come in costume – because most Fruition fans do anyway, even when it’s not Halloween! Under 21 allowed with parent or guardian, $20, 8 p.m.
- Thursday -Saturday, Nov. 5-7: Greensky Bluegrass 3-night run at the Wonder Ballroom: Three nights! Holy moly! The progressive bluegrass band certainly has a following here, and they always give us a good show. Or shows. You can bet your britches you won’t be disappointed, whether you come for one night or all three. 3-night passes are available for $60. Each night 21+, $22.50/$25, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11: Twiddle + The Werks at the Star Theater: Yes, they’re calling this the Twerk Tour. These two standout acts from the eastern sector of the country (Ohio counts as east right?) are heading our way to shred and blow some minds. 21+, $15, 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 21: Snarky Puppy at the Roseland Theater: Seriously, who isn’t excited about this show?? This huge (I mean literally. The band is large.) jazz powerhouse is one of the most hyped bands around today – and with good reason. You can thank us when you’re picking your jaw back up off the floor. All ages, $22/$35, 8 p.m.
Author’s Note: Writing this was hard. Because there are just WAY too many good shows coming up in Portland! Check our full PDX Concert Calendar to see the rest of them.